Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Paths to Law after High School

Dear Reader,

There are different paths to law, if you are studying in Ghana. We will refer to the law degree as the LLB.

A) Doing a law degree as an undergraduate.

B) Doing a non-law degree as an undergraduate, and then doing a second degree in law. (This second degree is not a post-graduate degree.

Both A and B will lead you to the Ghana School of Law.

Let us break it down now.

A – Undergraduate Law

1. The institutions that offer this are KNUST, GIMPA and Zenith College.

2. At KNUST, it is a 4-year degree. I believe it is also 4 years at GIMPA. I believe it is 2 years at Zenith College. Zenith is probably the most flexible because you can choose a module which works for you (2, 3 or 4 years to complete).

3. Zenith College is a peculiar case. You can do their LLB with your High School qualification or with a degree. With your High School qualification, you will have to be assessed by the University of London for your suitability. Further, you can study the LLB as either a diploma (for 4 years) or a degree (2, 3 or 4 years).

4. KNUST offers a hybrid programme, really. There are some students studying law as a second degree. They complete the LLB in 3 years.

B – Non-Law Degree First

1. If you go to the University of Ghana, you will have to do some other degree first. It could be the humanities or the sciences or anything between.

2. If you get a good grade, you may write exams for entry into the Faculty of Law.

3. If you do well enough in the exams, you may be called for an interview.

4. Those who impress in the interview get admitted.

Post LLB

Whichever path you take, after you obtain the LLB, you apply to the 2-year certificate programme of the Ghana School of Law. It is becoming increasingly competitive as it now has many feeder institutions.

Timeframe

Depending on what path you choose, you could become a lawyer in 4, 5, 6, 8 or 9 years (considering national service) after you leave High School

12 comments:

  1. Hello NANA,
    AM A GRAADUATE OF COMPUTER / ELECT FROM A UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA AND I WANT TO HAVE A LAW DEGREE IN THE SHORTES TIME PLS HELP ME OUT.TANKS wesah4hygiene@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me Nana but which of these alternatives do you think is the best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Nana, I am presently studying the one year graduate diploma in law here in UK with BPP. i intend to take two extra modules after my studies to convert my diploma into an LLB as per BBP procedure.
    (1)Is this type of LLB qualifying enough to gain me admission into the makola school of law?
    (2)is BBP one of the institutions recognised by the general legal Council?
    I did read the requirements on the makola site and one is expected to possess an LLB from an institution RECOGNISED by the legal council. what do they mean by recognised? please help me as i can not afford to pay for the bar course here in the uk after my GDL. could email me on;desouzarog@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. what kind of exam do you write to qualify for interview? A general aptitude test? And what exactly do u mean by good grades

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi am a graduate from VVU and i want to be a lawyer in future. which option will let my dream come true. can i continue straight away to the Ghana school of law or university of Ghana for post graduate in LL.B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to know the meaning of the LLB and BBP, because i have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I AM DIPLOMA TEACHER FROM COLLEGE OF EDUC. I WANT TO BE A LAWYER IN FUTURE, WHAT SHOULD I DO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nana, am currently holding a Bachelor's Degree in basic education. Can I use it to pursue my second degree in LLB at Legon? Please send me an email through, michaelputoz@yahoo.com. I'll be happy to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please Nana, Im a 37yrs old shs graduate n want to study law what shpuld i do? i love to study it very badly. whitebisho2020@gnail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nana please i want to go to the law school with my senior high results. How do i go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm called Razak and my ambition is to be a lawyer.......i jux completed high school. plse i want to study law badly...hw do i start.

    ReplyDelete
  12. does nigeria law school accept post degree in LLB in Law from university of ghana

    ReplyDelete